Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Cold weather = Husky Energy

Cane has come up with a new game at the end of our walks. Since this is a recent development that coincides with freezing temperatures, I’m blaming the cold weather on this.

It starts at about the last block before we return home. Cane will slow down and start staring at me. He’s usually never that attentive. He prefers to pay attention to cats, shrubs and cable boxes or anything else that may need chased or peed on.

While he’s staring and waiting for a response from me, he’ll get a dumb but happy look on his face; tongue hanging out to the side.

Then he grabs the leash in his mouth and starts pulling. When I tell him to “drop it”, he starts springing around and begins running in circles at full speed. I have to hold on tightly to the leash and spin around with him as if I’m the Sun and he’s in orbit.

By the time I get dizzy and slow down, he comes bouncing up to me and we play the rough ‘rasslin game like we do in the house occasionally.

It the midst of all our fun, I usually notice cars slowing down or stopping. I’m not sure if they think I’m getting attacked, or if they’re worried he'll dart out into the road. Either way, it’s a spectacle.

I wasn’t sure what to call this game when it began, but the Berserker song from Jay & Silent Bob had been stuck in my head for a few days. Now when Cane starts giving me the look, I sing: “ DO YOU WANT TO PLAY YOUR GAMES, BERSERKER!”

No comments:

Post a Comment